Wednesday, 31 December 2014

New Years Resolutions for parents of baby's with cow's milk protein allergy

Happy New Year

It’s that time of year when we reflect on what we’ve been through, achieved and not achieved and look ahead to 2015 and think about what we’d like to do with our new year ahead.  If you did have goals for 2014 which you haven’t achieved yet then it doesn’t matter because being a parent to a cow’s milk protein allergy baby is a huge achievement in itself and every day you will learn something new and grow as a person and as a parent so you should be extremely proud of yourself.  Today’s blog post is really about praising the parents of cow’s milk protein allergy baby’s and making sure you look back at 2014 and feel proud that you have supported your baby through a difficult and challenging time which without you fighting their corner would of been a lot more painful.  

You are your baby’s voice and I know a lot of us are constantly fighting with doctors to get our babies milk allergy diagnosed or get medications to help with reflux.  A lot of us are struggling to get the right information from our dieticians on what to feed our babies, to make sure they are getting all the calcium that they need in their diets.  I’ve discovered there can be a lot of conflicting information out there and some doctors are just not educated about cow’s milk protein allergy symptoms and the different formulas available.  

With the NHS in the UK having strict budgets to adhere to I know the standard of care we receive is the cheapest possible - I am not saying it’s bad treatment, just basic and well I’m sure I am not the first mother to have fought to get formula on prescription for my baby and I am sure I will not be the last .  I find taking my mum with me to appointments really helps, for some reason when I go on my own before I know it I’ve been told it’s all in my head - or words to that effect and I've been ushered out of the door and I am left feeling completely helpless.  However taking my mother with me to appointments is a whole different scenario, I don’t know if it’s safety in numbers or if Grandma who obviously has years of parenting experience being there and supporting what i am saying about my baby means all of a sudden what I am saying is true, anyway the point is I recommend taking someone with you to your appointments for support, they don’t have to say anything but I’ve found just having someone else in the room can make a huge difference.  Doing your own research before you go can also help, I’ve learnt over the last 18 months since starting my journey as a cow’s milk protein allergy parent that knowledge is power and this can help a lot when talking to doctors about your babies symptoms.  

I had to fight for weeks to get my son on Neocate and in the end it was knowing the difference in the ingredients between Neocate and Nutramigen and the way in which these ingredients are digested that helped me in a difficult battle with the paediatricians to be taken seriously and get the Neocate which my baby so clearly needed.  

Just remember you know your baby best, listen to your gut instinct and if you think something isn’t right then don’t give up and push the doctors to find out what it is and what your baby needs.  You have the right to request a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the fist one. 

Being a parent to a baby with a cow’s milk protein allergy can be so stressful and a constant worry, it’s easy to get so caught up in it all that sometimes we forget to enjoy our babies and before we know it they won’t be babies any more and they’ll be old enough to manage their own allergy or hopefully have outgrown it!  

Here’s some New Years Resolutions I suggest for the parents of Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy Baby’s:

Be proud of yourself

Remember to enjoy your baby every day

Laugh and smile with your baby every day

Stay strong and remember you are not alone on this journey

Remember your baby will be old enough soon to tell you what’s wrong so these difficult days are not forever


I am going to be sharing a lot of dairy free, soya free, gluten free, wheat free and egg free recipes in 2015 along with supermarket finds and eating out dairy free reviews so like our Facebook page to make sure you get them on your news feed or follow us on Twitter to get our tweets.

Happy New Year to you and your beautiful babies! 



Like us on Facebook  
Follow us on Twitter 
Follow us on Instagram @livingwithcmpa 


Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and receive FREE printable allergy cards

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment